Day 12 - 30/06/23

 After doing nothing most of yesterday we were full of beans this morning. Decided to go to the Natural History Museum, and did the 40 minute walk to get there. I realised that I had withdrawn about £60 worth of Hungarian money, as I thought nowhere would take card (they do), so now I was in a race to spend it all before we left. The Natural History Museum, although good, was slightly tarnished by how good the one in London is. I think this one was slightly more geared towards children too. When we first got in, a woman who didn’t speak English said something and then pointed at a door, which we went in to. We weren’t expecting to be in a butterfly enclosure, as loads of bright blue butterflies fluttered all around us. 





As you can see, Dan is not the biggest fan of the butterflies. We then went to a ‘dinosaur garden’, and no, it wasn’t just a shit remake of Jurassic Park. It was basically just a garden with model dinosaurs in it, but for some reason they didn’t choose the usual T-Rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops etc. but instead chose quite obscure dinosaurs, which I respected.


We decided to skip the rocks section, as I can’t even pretend to be interested in rocks, and went to the top floor to see all the model animals. They weren’t all extinct animals though, there were zebras and monkeys etc., so I’m not quite sure how it was a Natural History Museum when all these animals still exist. It’s basically just a less exciting zoo. 



They did have a nice aquarium though. After this, we went to have some brunch at a lovely brunch place. You could pick between 3, 5 or 7 dishes, and you got to select whatever combination you wanted of the dishes available. I had sausages, Italian ham and scrambled eggs. I’m afraid I don’t have a photo of it, as I was so hungry that I devoured it as soon as it was given to me. We then got some drinks from the local shop and decided to relax in the park. Unfortunately the first park we picked seemed to be a favourite amongst the drug addicts of Budapest, as we watched these zombies stagger around the park. We decided to leave and found a much nicer one.


Still full from the brunch and drinks, we decided to head home for a quick nap. We had booked tickets for a boat party that night, and had even sprung for the ‘unlimited drinks’ ticket. We were all semi asleep when Dan realised the free drinks tickets weren’t for the boat party, but instead for the pre-party at this club, which started in an hour, so we scrambled to get ready. After getting there, we realised that the club’s method of making a profit on us was to put a single shot of a vodka in a pint of lemonade, so it would take forever to drink and wouldn’t be very strong. Luckily, we realised if you ordered the vodka lemonade and then ordered 2 shots along with it you can just pour them in. It’s this kind of British intelligence that won us the war I think.


We then walked in a big group over to the boat, and it was at this point I realised that practically everyone on this boat was Scottish for some reason. Had a 10 minute conversation with a Glaswegian man, and only understood a few sentences. My tactic was just to smile and nod and hope he didn’t ask me a question.  There were some beautiful views on the boat trip, which was good because the rest of the party was pretty bad. There was nowhere to sit and only one toilet for about 70 men there, which didn’t even lock.




After it finally ended, we got in a taxi and headed home. We decided to go for a pizza before bed, which ended up being the most disappointing pizza of my life. Despite being the only people in this takeaway pizza shop, he took 30 minutes to make our pizza, which ended up being awful anyway. I’ve had 70p pizzas from Aldi with more flavour, but the man who made it kept asking me if it was good so I had to pretend like it was delicious. After that, we got into bed and prepared for our 18 hour journey to Bucharest the next day.

Comments